GWEN SIMMONDS MEMORIAL BURSARY
Single-mother families are more vulnerable to poverty and financial hardship. Unemployment and underemployment make running a household that much more difficult. Even more, daycare puts an additional strain on a family’s finances, especially if a parent needs to pay more than one caregiver or pay for after-school programs.
In fact, historically 30% of single mothers are unemployed. Those that are employed spend over 50% of their income on household expenses and another 30% on child care. This leaves little room for tuition fees.
Financial demands, time constraints, and mental exhaustion make educational pursuits that much more daunting.
The Gwen Simmonds Memorial Bursary helps single mothers advance their careers by assisting with the cost of education.
WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2021 FALL SEMESTER. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 3, 2021.
- Canadian citizen
- Single mother with a child under 18
- Must be enrolled in a post-secondary studies (i.e. college diploma, university degree, apprenticeship, trades certificate)
- Demonstrate financial need
Please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- Proof of post-secondary enrolment
- Academic transcripts
- Canada Revenue Agency Proof of Income statement